London, KY Motorcycle Injury Attorney
Motorcycle Accidents in Kentucky
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motorcyclists are more than 30 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident than occupants of passenger vehicles, and five times more likely to be injured. If you or someone you love has been wrongfully injured in a motorcycle crash, Bentley, George & Sparks can help you obtain compensation to cover your medical bills and other accident-related costs. Our London motorcycle accent attorneys possess the skills, experience, and dedication needed to stand up to negligent drivers, insurance companies, and other lawyers and ensure you are awarded the maximum compensation available.
Contact us now at (606) 332-2494 or online to set up your free consultation.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycle accidents can have numerous causes, but when a motorcycle and another vehicle collide—as is the case with most motorcycle accident claims—it is often the biker who suffers the most serious injuries while the other driver tends to get off easy in comparison. Serious motorcycle accidents also tend to be caused by other motorists, although either party (or even both) may be found to be at fault.
Motorcycle accidents are commonly caused by road defects, motorcycle defects, or by human error on behalf of the biker or drivers of passenger cars. A few of the top causes of crashes include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted drivers may not see bikers until it is too late, especially if texting while driving, which is one of the leading causes of traffic injuries and deaths in the U.S.
- Reckless driving: Speeding, driving while intoxicated, tailgating, making sudden lane changes, and similar behaviors can lead to devastating accidents.
- Drivers failing to yield: Roughly two-thirds of all multi-vehicle motorcycle crashes occur when the driver of a passenger vehicle violates a motorcyclist’s right-of-way and/or turns into the lane of a motorcyclist.
- Drivers not seeing bikers: Motorists often forget to look out for bikers or miss them completely until it’s too late.
- Road defects: Potholes, poorly organized construction work, obstructions in the road, and other defects can cause serious accidents for bikers.
Whether your accident was caused by a negligent driver, a manufacturing company, or a government agency that manages road design, construction, and maintenance, we can help you hold the liable party accountable for the damages you are rightfully owed.
Types of Damages You Can Recover After a Motorcycle Accident
Anyone who has sustained serious injuries from a bike accident understands the immense toll it takes on one’s life. You may be in pain, confined to a hospital bed, facing expensive medical bills, losing earnings from having to take time off work, and dealing with other hardships. Fortunately, if you were not at fault for your accident, you can file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
The at-fault motorist who caused your accident and subsequent injuries may be legally liable for:
- All accident-related medical expenses, including future costs if you need ongoing treatment or care
- Lost income from time taken off work, including losses due to diminished earning power
- Costs of repairing or replacing your damaged motorcycle
- Pain and suffering you endured because of the accident, including emotional distress
- Funeral and burial expenses in the case of the death of a loved one in a motorcycle accident
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
If you have recently been in a motorcycle accident, there are a few things you must take care of as soon as possible:
- Seek medical attention for your injuries and to receive an official diagnosis and treatment plan
- Collect and save any bills, correspondence, documentation, photographs, videos, receipts, and copies of anything else related to your accident
- Contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in your area—before discussing your accident with anyone else (or posting about it on social media)
You might believe that your case does not necessitate legal action—and you may even be right! However, consulting with a motorcycle accident attorney at Bentley, George & Sparks and most other law firms is completely free and comes with no risk or obligation. Taking advantage of a legal consultation will help you to better understand your rights and options following an accident and will give you a solid idea of whether or not you should seek compensation by filing a claim.
Should you choose to retain our legal services, the lawyers at Bentley, George & Sparks will:
- Thoroughly investigate your accident
- Collect and preserve important evidence before it is lost
- Identify any and all at-fault parties and hold them accountable
- Determine insurance policies and other avenues for compensation
- Send a notice of claim letter to the insurers to initiate the legal process
- Seek to negotiate a fair and just settlement on your behalf
- Argue your case in court, in the rare event your case goes to trial (most are settled prior)
Call Bentley, George & Sparks at (606) 332-2494 to schedule your free case evaluation with an attorney and learn more about your legal options.